Sunday, April 15, 2012

Our Little Secret

I have a thing for individual portions.

It's a weird obsession, I know. But for some reason when the word "mini" and "individual" are used in the same recipe, I'm 98% more likely to make it.

That's what happened when I stumbled upon a recipe for individual mini apple pies.

I haven't had a slice of apple pie in forever because of the crust. When I saw this recipe, I knew that it would be so simple to modify and make gluten-free.

These are honestly the best thing ever. They take a little elbow grease, but the outcome is a wonderful, warm apple pie. And your house will smell amazing.

Have I convinced you yet?


















First take 6 apples. I used Granny Smith because they seem to be the best for baking.

























You're going to want to cut the top off the apple. Then, using a melon baller, scoop out and core the apple. Don't throw away the inside. Once you have hollowed out the apple, submerge into a mixture of lemon juice and water, then turn upside down to drain.

I didn't get any pictures of this step because I had to work fast to make sure the apples wouldn't get really brown.

Once all the apples are hollowed out, throw away the core and chop the insides into small pieces.

Mix the pieces with sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and cornstarch.

























Place the apples into muffin tins. Spoon the mixture into the apples until they are full.





































In a bowl, mix brown sugar, cinnamon, oats and cut in cold butter. 



















Place crumb mixture on top of the apples.













It's messy, but beautiful. You'll see.

Bake for 30-35 minutes at 375 degrees.




















Mini Apple Pies
Adapted from Jo In The Kitchen 

Apple Pies:
  • 6 apples
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. cornstarch
  • Juice of 1 lemon + 1 cup water
Crumble:
Recipe from Simply Recipes

  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 1/4 cup cold butter
 
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Cut tops off and hollow out apples.

3. Submerge apples into lemon water mixture and turn over to dry.

4. Cut up the insides of the apples and mix with sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and cornstarch.

5. Place apples in a muffin tin and fill with mixture.

6. Top with crumble mixture.

7. Bake for 30-35 minutes.

***
I took mine and nestled it up to a scoop of vanilla ice cream and drizzled some caramel sauce on top.


















This is seriously indulgent. Plus, I don't feel too bad about eating one of these since there is no crust on it. Right?

Don't answer that.





















These are so yummy and such a treat.

They would be so nice on a crisp fall afternoon or a great 4th of July snack for all your friends and family. They would be so impressed with your culinary skills.

I mean, I even impressed myself with these! But that will be our little secret.



















Enjoy!

Kaci

2 comments:

  1. These apple pies look great, I like how they are individual servings. I would love if you would share this and any other posts at Showcase Your Talent Thursday http://whatscookinglove.blogspot.com/2012/04/showcase-your-talent-thursday-3.html. I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alyssa -
    Thanks for checking out my blog! I'd be more than happy to participate.

    Thanks again,
    Kaci

    ReplyDelete