Monday, April 9, 2012

Do You Know The Muffin Man?

Hello everyone!

I hope you had a wonderful Easter and a great weekend.

I have a lot of awesome recipes to share with you this week and I'm excited to kick it off with this one.

I love muffins but some can be upwards of 400 calories. Not cool, muffin industry. Not. Cool.

I wanted a waistline-friendly breakfast with big taste and it had to be gluten-free. That's pretty much impossible. So I found a recipe that had 2 of the 3 requirements. Then I took matters into my own hands.

















Gorgeousness.

These were so easy to put together. I know I say that about every recipe, but these truly are simple to whip up.

Pinky promise!

First take some oats and give them a few whirls in the food processor. Then soak your oats in some unsweetened almond milk for 30 minutes. 




















While the oats are gettin' their soak on, mix up brown sugar, honey, unsweetened applesauce, egg whites, vanilla and oil. 

 


















In another bowl, add flour, xantham gum, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix together.

When the oats are done, add them to your sugar mixture and stir together. Then slowly add the flour mixture and combine. Next, you'll fold in some blueberries. 

























Using the ice cream scoop trick, fill your lined muffin tins.




















Bake at 400 degrees for 22 minutes and they come out looking like this:

















 

Oatmeal Blueberry Muffins

Adapted from Skinny Taste

  • 1 1/2 cup oats
  • 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp. honey
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 tbsp. oil
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/2 Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
  • 1/4 + 1/8 tsp. xantham gum
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 6 oz. container of fresh blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Process oats and soak in almond milk for 30 minutes.

3. Combine brown sugar, honey, unsweetened applesauce, egg whites, oil and vanilla in a bowl.

4. In a separate bowl, combine flour, xantham gum, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

5. When oats have finished soaking, add them to the sugar mixture and stir. Slowly add in flour mixture.

6. Fold in blueberries and fill lined muffin tin.

7. Bake for 22 minutes.

***

If you are not gluten-free, don't fret! Just replace with gluten-free flour with normal flour and omit the xantham gum. 

These muffins are really good and make a great breakfast. Personally, I think they taste best the next day! 

















Because of the applesauce, they are so moist. It's almost like a bowl of oatmeal to go!




















I'm not trying to be bossy or anything, but you should probably head to the store and pick up everything to make these. Now.

I mean, if you want.

Enjoy!

Kaci

2 comments:

  1. Kaci-
    Thank you for this recipe! I am excited to try these for my husband, who has Celiac's. Your story is crazy! I have never heard of gluten causing those symptoms/problems. That's amazing. Glad you got the answer you needed! I am also glad I found your website! I will be visiting often as I am always looking for good gluten free recipes. Thanks again for all your hard work!
    -Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristy -

    Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope you & your husband love these like I do. Please let me know how they turn out. I will be posting so many more recipes in the future & I hope they help you guys out.

    Thanks again!
    Kaci

    ReplyDelete