Wednesday, May 2, 2012

No Worries, Mon!

I'm freeeeeee!

Yes, ladies and gents, I have officially completed my undergraduate degree. It hasn't completely sunk in yet and I'm still worried that I'm forgetting to study or complete an assignment.

For now, the plan is to watch copious amounts of Criminal Minds and get to the gym more consistently. One of these two will be very difficult.

So, in honor of my freedom from the chains of college, I present to you a island-worthy recipe that will make you feel like you're on the beach basking in the sun.

This Coconut Rice & Jamaican Jerk Chicken will blow you away.

Serious. 




















This recipe comes from Iowa Girl Eats.  Her blog is amazing and every single recipe is out of this world. When I saw this recipe on her page, I knew it had to happen.

And it did.

There are a lot of different components to this marinade, but it's so worth it.

First you'll take allspice, thyme, sugar, sage, nutmeg, cinnamon, and cayenne and combine in a bowl. 



















Then you'll add vinegar, orange juice, olive oil, soy sauce, lime juice, green onion, onion and garlic.

Mix it all together and allow the chicken breasts to thaw and marinate. 
 



















Because I'm crazy and can't leave anything alone, I would stab and turn the chicken with a fork every 45 minutes or so. You don't have to do that.

I let them marinate for pretty much all day. I left them on the counter because they were frozen. If the chicken you are using is already thawed then stick it in the refrigerator. 

When the chicken is ready to cook, you can either grill them or broil them. I broiled them and they turned out fine, but you can do whatever you want.

While the chicken is cooking, go ahead and make the rice.

In a large pot, heat coconut oil.




Add garlic, green onion and thyme and cook for a few minutes.


Then throw in kidney beans, water, and coconut milk and bring to a boil.




















When it's ready, throw in the rice and salt.

Turn the heat down and let it simmer for roughly 20 minutes.



















You may feel the urge to taste the rice. This urge is completely normal. However, once you taste it, you won't stop eating it. Don't say I didn't warn you.




















I don't have any specifics on the cooking time for the chicken. Just cook it until it's done. That concludes my advice for the night.



















Coconut Rice & Jamaican Jerk Chicken
Recipe adapted from Iowa Girl Eats 
*serves 6

Jamaican Jerk Chicken
  • 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 1/2 tbsp allspice
  • 1 1/2 tbsp thyme
  • 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
  • 2 1/4 tsp sage
  • 1 1/8 tsp nutmeg
  • 1 1/8 tsp cinnamon
  • 3/8 tsp cayenne 
  • 1 1/8 cup vinegar
  • 3/4 cup orange juice
  • 3/8 cup olive oil
  • 3/8 cup soy sauce
  • Juice of 1 1/2 limes
  • 3 green onions
  • 1 1/2 onion
  • 7 1/2 cloves of garlic
1. Combine all the ingredients and marinate the chicken for at least 4 hours.

2. Grill or broil chicken until done.

Coconut Rice
  • 1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
  • 1 1/2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 1/2 green onion
  • 3/8 tsp thyme
  • 1 can kidney beans (drained, rinsed)
  • 1 1/2 water
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 1 1/2 cup long grain rice
  • 3/4 tsp salt
1. Heat coconut oil in large pot. Add garlic, green onion and thyme. Cook for a few minutes.

2. Add drained and rinsed kidney beans, water and coconut milk. Bring to boil.

3. Add in rice and salt. Turn heat down to medium to low, cover and simmer for roughly 20 minutes.

***

Guys, this dinner was fantastic. The rice was creamy and so flavorful. The chicken was moist and bursting with so many different flavors.




















I put barbeque sauce on my chicken. You don't have to but I think it took it over the top!




I could eat this rice every single day. The coconut flavor isn't overwhelming, in case you were worried. 

It's so creamy and I love that the kidney beans add a little extra protein.



















This dish is so easy and perfect. There was a little bit of rice leftover and I ate it for lunch the next day and I'm pretty sure it tasted better the second day.

Next time, I may or may not double the recipe.



















Enjoy!

Kaci

No comments:

Post a Comment