Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Skinny Minny

Hey there!

I've got a great recipe to share with you tonight! But first, my workout for the day.

Today was my cardio day. I did a 20 minute HIIT treadmill workout and 6 minutes on the step mill with a 4 minute walk around to cool down.


Time Speed
0:00-3:00 4
3:00-5:00 6.5
5:00-5:30 8.5
5:30-6:30 6.5
6:30-7:15 8.5
7:15-8:15 6.5
8:15-9:15 8.5
9:15-10:15 6.5
10:15-11:45 8.5
11:45-12:45 6.5
12:45-13:45 8.5
13:45-14:45 6.5
14:45-15:30 8.5
15:30-16:30 6.5
16:30-17:00 8.5
17:00-20:00 4

This interval is from Sweet Tooth Sweet Life.

It was so much more difficult than it looked. I had to pause a few times and catch my breath, but I definitely got my sweat on. 

I prefer doing intervals like this because it makes the time go by much faster.

After the workout, I came home and got started on dinner.

Skinny Alfredo!

Yes, the word "skinny" and "alfredo" can be used in the same sentence!

Alfredo was my absolute favorite dish when I was younger. I would order it all the time and I never branched out of my alfredo-is-the-only-italian-dish box.

My uncle always called it "heart attack on a plate." I never understood why until I read the nutritional information of a serving of alfredo.

So, between that realization and my sensitivity to gluten, alfredo hasn't been in my life for quite sometime. But that has all changed.





Don't grab the butter or the heavy cream, because you won't need it and you won't miss it!

First throw some thawed boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the skillet with some olive oil. Season the chicken breasts with some salt and pepper.




















Once the chicken is brown on each side, but not done in the middle, remove and cut into pieces. Throw them back in the skillet and turn it to medium-low heat and let them finish cooking. 





While your chicken is cooking, boil the pasta. Below is the gluten-free pasta I used. 


























In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute. 





















Next, add flour.



















Then add chicken broth, milk and Greek yogurt. Turn the heat to low and let the sauce thicken.



















Once the 2-3 minutes have passed, turn the burner off and stir in grated parmesan cheese.

























Add the chicken pieces to the sauce and combine.

Pour the sauce over the cooked pasta and stir.

Then add steamed broccoli and stir again.



















Skinny Alfredo
Recipe from Iowa Girl Eats
*serves 8
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 4 cups steamed broccoli
  • 16 oz pasta
  • 4 tbsp olive oil
  • 4 tsp minced garlic
  • 4 tbsp Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 1/2 cups grated parmesan cheese
  • salt & pepper 

1. Cook 4 chicken breasts in olive oil. Cut into pieces and place back into skillet and cook on medium-low heat.

2. Cook pasta in salted water.

3. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly until golden brown. Roughly 1 minute.

4. Sprinkle in flour and whisk. Cook for 1 minute.

5. Whisk in chicken broth, then milk. Add Greek yogurt and salt and pepper. Turn heat to low and simmer 2-3 minutes until sauce thickens.

6. Turn off heat and stir in cheese. Then add the chicken. Pour over pasta and stir. Add in broccoli.

7. Serve!

***
Nutritional Information Per Serving:

Calories: 322
Fat: 14.5
Carbohydrates: 18
Fiber: 2.25
Protein: 29.75

Weight Watchers Points Plus: 8

***


















This was so yummy!





















It was rich but not over the top like most alfredo dishes. It was nice and light.



















No heart attack on a plate here!















Enjoy,

Kaci

2 comments:

  1. We love alfredo but like you I worried about the nutritional value...or lack there of! I can't wait to try this, I never thought of using yogurt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought of it either, but it's genius! Let me know if you try it out!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    Kaci

    ReplyDelete