Friday, March 30, 2012

Fair Food (Minus the Fair)

Apparently, everyone likes fair food. From turkey legs (blah!) to fried snickers (seriously?), fair food can be quite disgusting interesting. 

I don't like fair food. It grosses me out. 

A staple of the fair food menu would probably have to be corn dogs. 

I've never had a corn dog. Ever. Another thing that grosses me out. 

However, a lot of people (including a few members of my family) love corn dogs. So when I decided to make some finger foods for dinner one night, the recipe for mini corn dog muffins was at the top of my list. 



















NOTE: These are not gluten-free, therefore I did not eat them. My family did say that they're amazing, though!

First, put the melted butter and sugar in a bowl and whisk together.




 Then add the eggs and whisk

























The buttermilk will now join. Whisk.

























Set that aside. In a separate bowl, combine the baking soda, cornmeal, flour and salt.




















Add half of the dry ingredients to the wet and mix well. Then add the rest. Mix well.





















Cut hot dogs into 1" pieces. Spoon 1/2 a tablespoon in a greased mini muffin tin. Then push one hot dog piece into the middle.


Bake for 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool about 5 minutes before removing from pan.




















These little guys were so cute. My family really enjoyed them! This is another great game day recipe that is so easy to throw together.

Mini Corn Dog Muffins

Recipe from Iowa Girl Eats

  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 8-10 hotdogs 
1. Preheat oven to 375 degree.

2. Combine melted butter and sugar, then whisk. Add eggs and buttermilk, whisking after each addition. Set aside.

3. In another bowl, combine baking soda, cornmeal, flour and salt. Add half of the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, whisk. Then add the other half. Whisk to combine.

4. Spray the mini muffin tin with non-stick spray. Spoon 1/2 tbsp of batter into each cup. Drop 1" piece of hot dog and press into middle.

5. Bake until golden brown, around 8-10 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before removing.

***
Since I did not try these, I cannot tell you how wonderful these were. But, my family ate a lot of them and even took them for the lunch the next day. So they passed the leftover test and when I asked my sister if they were good enough to put on the blog, she replied "YES" in caps. Apparently that's a good thing? Teenagers. Weird creatures, aren't they?

Anyway.

So, if you like corn dogs, then eat these. And you won't have to worry about the crowds or the nastiness of the fair.

You're welcome.

Kaci

No comments:

Post a Comment