Wednesday, March 28, 2012

I've Got My Head In The Clouds

Finding out that I was sensitive to gluten has been such a blessing because I'm not in pain anymore and I now have the energy to live a normal life. 

There are down sides, however. Every meal has to be planned ahead and I no longer have the luxury to "pick something up" when I'm hungry. 

It's even worse when it comes to desserts. Cookies, cakes and pastries are completely out of the question. Unless I make them myself, I can't enjoy these sweet treats. I have found a few places that make gluten-free cupcakes, but those can be quite expensive.

So what is a gluten-free person supposed to do when a sweet craving hits? 

I have the solution. A delicious, chocolatey solution. 


 


Please don't be fooled. These are not just for the gluten-free.

My family freaks out when I make these. And I freak out because they are so easy.

That's when you know a recipe is a real winner.

To make these gems, first start with 3 room temperature egg whites.

  • Tip #1 - The egg whites need to sit out for a few hours to reach room temperature. I put mine in the bowl at 8:00 a.m. and they were ready at 12:30 p.m.

  • Tip #2 - The easiest way to separate an egg is to place the egg in your hand after you've cracked it, and transfer the yolk from hand to hand. Make sure you have a bowl underneath your hands to catch the white part. The white part will easily slip through your fingers, while the yolk will stay in your hand.

Add cream of tarter
 


















And whip until soft peaks form.



















This is what it should look like. 






Once you've reached the soft peak stage, slowly add in the sugar

 

















Then the vanilla
















 


Beat until stiff peaks form. I know that it's ready when this happens:



















Now fold in the chocolate chips


 



































At this point, feel free to take a taste test. You will hear the Hallelujah Chorus and then wonder why something this amazing has not touched your taste buds before.

Use spoons to drop on wax covered baking sheets. 
 


















Bake at 300 degrees for about 30 minutes. You want them to be dry. Transfer to a wire rack for the ultimate cooling experience.




















I wish I could accurately convey to you how wonderful these are.





















They are the perfect portion for that "something sweet."

They aren't overpowering with chocolate either. I'm not a huge chocolate fan, so these hit the spot.





















They are light and airy as well. Can you see why we are all obsessed with these?




















Chocolatey Clouds

Adapted from Skinny Taste 

  • 3 room temperature egg whites
  • 1/8 tsp. cream of tarter
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees and cover baking sheets with wax paper

2. Beat egg whites and cream of tarter until soft peaks form

3. Gradually add in the sugar, then the vanilla. Beat until stiff peaks form

4. Fold in the chocolate chips

5. Drop by tablespoons onto cookie sheets and bake for 30-40 minutes.

***

If you're gluten-free, make these immediately.

If you know someone is who is gluten-free, make these for them immediately.

If you're not gluten-free, make these immediately.

That concludes my advice for the day.

Enjoy!

Kaci

No comments:

Post a Comment