Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Get Your Game Day On!

I always have myself a little mourning session right after the Superbowl. Even though I'm excited for spring and warmer weather, I am slightly depressed because the football season is over and I have to wait several months to see grown men fight over a tiny football a football game.

It's terribly upsetting.

This recipe I'm about to share would be perfect for game day on a cold winter day. However, it would work perfectly for the March Madness games coming up. It's easy to make, throws together quickly and is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser.

Take 4 potatoes...
 

Cut into slices approximately 1/8" thick and throw into a big pot 


Cover potato slices with cold, salted water. Put on high heat to boil. Once it is boiling, leave it on for 4-5 more minutes. When the 4-5 minutes are up, carefully pour into a colander.

Then lay out a lot of paper towel. Put each individual slice on the paper towel. Don't leave them in the colander or they will continue to cook and become mushy. I wouldn't know though. It's just a rumor I heard.

WARNING: The slices will be hot when you transfer them from the colander to the paper towel. But go ahead and sacrifice your fingers, it's worth it. 

Then take another paper towel and pat the lovely little slices dry. 


Take some non-stick spray and give your baking sheet a nice, light coat. 

Next you're going to pick up your freshly bathed and dried slices and lay them on a baking sheet so they overlap. 

Spray the potatoes with some cooking spray.

Then sprinkle salt and pepper on the pretty spuds.

Then sprinkle some cheese and bacon bits on 'em. No specific measurement, just sprinkle to your little heart's content.


 

Bake at 375 for 12-14 minutes. 

We loved these! So much, that I couldn't even snap a picture when they came out of the oven because my family inhaled them. Vultures, I tell you. 

Cheesy Potato Slices For A Crowd
*Serves 8

Adapted from Vittles and Bits 

  • 4 potatoes, sliced approx. 1/8" thick
  • Cooking spray
  • Shredded Cheese
  • Salt & Pepper
  • Bacon Bits


1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees

2. Wash and slice potatoes. Put potato slices in a large pot. Cover with cold water, add salt and set to boil. Boil for 4-5 minutes.

3. Pour slices into a colander and drain. Transfer slices to paper towel and pat dry.

4. Grease baking sheet. Lay potato slices on baking sheet.

5. Spray with cooking spray, sprinkle with salt, pepper, cheese and bacon bits.

6. Bake 12-15 minutes.

***
BONUS TIME!

I like to treat you right here at AIC (that's Adventures In Cooking), so I'm giving you a 2 for 1 deal. 

You're welcome. 

This, my friends, is Chipotle Ranch

























Also known as, ohmanthisissogoodiwanttoputitoneverything.

It's a perfect sidekick to the Cheesy Potato Slices For A Crowd. And, chances are, you already have everything to make it.

Chipotle Ranch

Adapted from Vittles and Bits
  • 1 tbsp. ranch dressing
  • 3 tbsp. sour cream
  • 1/4 tsp. chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp. cayenne*
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
* I like it pretty spicy but if you're not sure how spicy you want it, I recommend cutting the cayenne in half and adding a little more until it suits your taste.

1. Mix all the above ingredients and serve.

This only made enough for two people. So if you are serving a large crowd, adapt the measurements accordingly.

***

The Cheesy Potato Slices For A Crowd are really good, but the Chipotle Ranch just takes them over the top. If spicy ranch doesn't tickle your fancy then you can serve the potatoes with sour cream or plain ranch. 

I hope you enjoy!

Kaci

P.S. What's your favorite game day food?

Mine is big bowl of chili on a cold Sunday.

2 comments:

  1. OMG! And you thought you didn't know what to do with a blog... I laughed, I cried, I wanted to eat cheesy potatoes and bath in chipotle ranch... Okay, that last part was a bit over the top and gross, but whatever. I think we have a hit ladies and gentleman :) looking forward to all that is to come!!!
    My fav game day foods are hot wings (naked) or potato skins... So obviously you hit one of the major food groups :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Please let me know if you make this or any recipe you see on my blog!

    I really appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment :)

    Kaci

    ReplyDelete